Friday, May 20, 2011

20 Theatres of Northeast Los Angeles




The Highland Theatre is the only movie theatre in Northeast Los Angeles. But that wasn’t always the case. Movie houses dotted the Northeast map for decades. Some were demolished years ago. But most of the buildings are still standing on our main streets. Click here for a tour of 20 sites—from silent movie houses to grand movie palaces--where NELA residents of years past took their dates, attended free Saturday kids’ matinees, learned about adventure, mystery, horror and romance, ate popcorn and got their feet stuck to the floor.
We invite you to share with us your memories of these theatres (and any others we may have missed). Send us your thoughts in the comments section here or at ArroyoSJ@yahoo.com. We’ll share your comments in a future issue. (P.S. Check your photo albums. Any photos of local theatres?)

4 comments:

Escott O. Norton said...

Wow. Thanks for the research! I knew of some of these, but I had no idea there were so many! Sad, I wish there were more that survived. I grew up at the Eagle, my first memories of movies were there, and I remember the specific moment where I decided to get into movie making. I was watching Darby O'Gill and the Little People at the Eagle Theatre and said to myself, I want to make magic like this! If I ever win the lottery I'm buying the Eagle back from that church and restoring it as a little movie palace!

Tina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tina said...

@Escott........I love your chutzpah! Yes yes....bring the Eagle back.......movies and films are such a huge influence on people's perspectives. Miss the Eagle!

B Counter said...

Thanks, Edward! I added a link to to your post on our Highland Theatre page.

-- Bill Counter

on Blogspot: Los Angeles Theatres